Tuesday, June 13, 2006

To Sir With Contempt

Why aren’t there more radical teachers? Is it just the difficulty of being radical in a system built around compulsion, discipline, conformity, and reproduction of the class structure? Or is part of the problem the way that people become teachers?

As teachers did your professional education and employment push you to accept a role in which you do not make a significant difference, were you selected and molded to have politically and intellectually subordinate attitudes, thereby making your creative energies available to the system.

When did the idea of "assignable curiosity" come into fruition? When did they teach the use of exams, a powerful legitimating tool used to discriminate while still making it seem to be neutral? How was the nonpartisan exam system developed while actually imposing the values of the status quo? When was it that you learned to accept standard ideas about professional behaviour? Were you told there would be an ideological conformity you would have to subject yourself to?

Employed as a brain worker your work demands advanced degrees from accredited institutions, did it ever occur to you that you indoctrine students in the mysteries of skilled labour, in technical trades without critical thinknig, social conscience, or the will to resist. Does the lack of control over the political component of your creative work ever faze you? How do you accept the norms of your employers to function as semi-autonomous, self-directing workers?

Rooted in corporate capitalism founded on a heightened division of labor, you validate social-institutional hierarchies and legitimate your own place in them at the expense of others. You hold no monopoly on knowledge -- many non-professors know as much about your subjects -- but you act based on your own judgment to promote the establishment interests. You are constrained by law but in fact, more heavily controlled by hierarchically mandated, system-wide code of conduct.

Was it the higher income, status, improved working conditions and the capacity to choose more aspects of one’s work that motivated you to enter into this field of work? Did the institutional dominance redirect your work lives? Does promotion with professional ranks hinge on such work? Did creativity give way to perceived necessity? Do you ever notice your students become less idealistic and more exhausted from the work you assign to them? When did your socio-intellectual goals get replaced by selfish commitments to compensation and rising in one’s field?

Tell me more about the transformation from truth seeker to alienated knowledge worker seeking institutional advancement and not knowledge. What's it like to be a subordinate and disciplined mind engrossed in professional work.

2 comments:

Lord Avi said...

2+2=5
- Radiohead

Are you such a dreamer
To put the world to rights
I'll stay home forever
Where two and two always makes a five
I'll lay down the tracks
Sandbag and hide
January has April showers
And two and two always makes a five
It's the devil's way now
There is no way out
You can scream and you can shout
It is too late now
Because you're not there
Payin' attention
Payin' attention
Payin' attention
Payin' attention
yeah I feel it, I needed attention
Payin' attention
Payin' attention
Payin' attention
Yeah I need it, I needed attention
I needed attention
I needed attention
I needed attention
Yeah I love it, the attention
Payin' attention
Payin' attention
Payin' attention
Soon oh
I try to sing along
But the music's all wrong
Cos I'm not
Cos I'm not
I'll swallow up flies?
Back and hide
But I'm not
Oh hail to the thief
Oh hail to the thief
But I'm not
But I'm not
But I'm not
But I'm not
Don't question my authority or put me in the box
Cos I'm not
Cos I'm not
Oh go up to the king, and the sky is falling in
But it's not
But it's not
Maybe not
Maybe not

-----------------

yeah..... mucho awesomness!....

Miss Dipsy said...

I know this reply is over a year too late, but just though I'd put my belated two-pence in!

I believe it's not so much the people who go into teaching that are the problem, or the way that they are trained, it's in the nature of the system they have to work within. The truly passionate, progressive teachers go into the profession with all the right ideas & intentions, but soon become disillusioned & demoralised when they realise how little freedom they have. The system (at all levels of education) is geared to the production of quantifiable results (i.e. exam grades etc), which severely restricts the freedom of teachers. On top of all this is the reality that many of the students don't really want to be there, a problem exacerbated by the lack of enthusiasm & talent on the part of many teachers, so that the students develop a negative attitude to learning which is hard to undo.

My Dad was one such individual, who went into teaching fired up with energy, enthusiasm & progressive ideals. He left after only a few years, disillusioned with the whole profession, and embarked on an entirely different career. I've met other people who have had similar experiences. I suspect there are also some people who remain in teaching, but lose their idealism after having it beaten out of them by the system!