Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I Wanna Be Like You

Artist: Louis Prima
Song: Wanna Be Like You
Album: The Jungle Book
Soundtrack

"Now I'm the king of the swingers
Oh, the jungle VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop
And that's what botherin' me
I wanna be a man, mancub
And stroll right into town
And be just like the other men
I'm tired of monkeyin' around!"

That's my theme song in my graduating semester in 'Electronics Engineering Technology' a 3 Year Diploma Program here at Mohawk College. Why?

My 'terminal education' credits can't be 'transfered' to an undergraduate degree in any university in the province of Ontario. Elitist educational institutions (read universities) consider the occupational mobility of college graduates is better restricted because of the narrow skills and credentials college students' possess. So I better start 'cooling-out' because there's an unskilled, low-level service sector job with my name on it. I don't know if I will be as fortunate as some of my peers who will very shortly be employed in paraprofessional/assistant level jobs working under university graduates, in jobs divorced from all conceptual level work.

Today as I ride my 'cycle of despair' dodging motivational difficulties I ask myself did my diploma strengthen my academic skills and how did it lead to higher educational attainment. As my terminal vocational training comes to a close, I cringe thinking of the tommorow when I wait in line to be the next hired hand. I am disoriented as I try to comprehend this system of dual expectations and it's ambiguous commitment to democracy and education for all.

I have demonstrated by compliance to the system, have I not? I have jumped through all the attritional hoops of academia to reach thus far, ready to advance to the next ideological boot-camp. But then why isn't my diploma being considered an objective indicator of knowledge, why do the registrar's at universities treat me like a leper when I ask about transfer agreements.

Are there any educational reconstructionists in the theatre tonight? Anybody out there who's interested in improving my position in the educational hierarchy. Maybe you could ask the loyal gatekeepers who have pledged their allegiance to the system. How absurd would it be to demand for a "call of change", to be accepted as equal participants in a flat global terrain. It would be impossible for today's college graduate to continue to adhere to many of the traditional claims of the college system. The fallen statue of Mercury (Roman god of trade, profit and commerce) at the old Mercury Mills site is a reminder of why we don't study at the Provincial Institute of Textiles.

Are there any professionally competent, socially responsible and interculturally literate college students out there? Can you help me address this socially untenable system of implied superiority of an elite community of post secondary students and the rejection of all others. Would you help me examine the social inequalities in access to technology and its implications for educational equity.

No comments: